Pages

Recipe: Side Dish - Roasted Sweet, Sweet Potatoes

Monday, October 24, 2016

Oh sweet, sweet, sweet potato; how do I love thee? Let me count the ways:
  1. Vitamin A (in the form of Beta Carotene): you give my sweet potato his sweet orange glow and you give my skin collagen 
  2. Vitamin C: More Collagen? Well, if you insist that my skin never ages... I accept!
  3. Manganese: Even more Collagen (are you noticing a theme here?) Also a great killer of free radicals (the enemies that eat up all the good vitamins & minerals you put in your body, like an evil pac-man {free radicals come from processed foods, among other sources})
  4. Copper: Another free radical killer; Essentially sweet potatoes go to war with the bad guys (More Pac-Man). Sweet potatoes are the good guys, your own, personal soldiers.
  5. A S*** load of Vitamin B: These work to keep your energy levels high and also form red blood cells (that keeps you alive, who doesn't want that?!)
  6. Fiber: Are you going to make me say it? It rhymes with Doop and Dooping. It also helps you cleanse your system and helps you feel satiated. Well, the process works the other way around. Satiated first, then...
There are more vitamins and minerals, but this covers your basics. Forget all those expensive beauty creams that offer you collagen at like $85/oz. You can eat these suckers for 99cents/lb and they'll give you much longer lasting effects. 

With that said, here is one my new favorite sweet potato recipes. I tried it myself, didn't burn it, and the others that ate it swear they "love it." Plus, my apartment smelled like hot honey and cinnamon for hours. Um, hello? That's awesome.

______________

Roasted Sweet, Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients:

2 large sweet potatoes
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup organic honey
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
salt and freshly ground black pepper



Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
  2. Peel sweet potatoes (do your best, it doesn't have to be perfect. Obviously I didn't try very hard)
  3. Chop those bad boys into 1 inch cubes and lay in a single layer on the pan
    *Lay tin foil in your pan if you have a crappy pan. But if you have a good pan, don't worry about it. From the image below, you can guess which pan I'm using
  4. Drizzle with oil, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Massage this into the potato cubes
  5. Drizzle with honey, BUT DONT BE AN IDIOT, Just eyeball the honey. Pouring honey into a 1/4 cup measuring cup = total disaster. Just eyeball and drizzle. I believe in you (if I can do it without f***ing up the dish AND/OR coating my entire kitchen in honey, then so can you)
  6. Roast 25 to 30 minutes, or until tender (you don't want them too crispy, they're meant to be a little tender to the touch)
  7. Enjoy the smell while they roast. Maybe try to cook this when you know people will be around so they can be SO impressed and all "OMG (name) you used to be a real monkey in the kitchen, but by the smell of your home, I just know you have serious talent. I was so wrong about you, can I rub your feet or buy you some jewelry?" and you'll be like "no no, that won't be necessary, a foot rub is plenty."

{I forgot to take an after picture}

Good Luck, Champ.

Xxo, L

No comments:

Post a Comment