1/10/18

Ceiling Medallions: Fancy AF



What does the term fancy mean to you?
A nice pair of heels?
Drinking tea with a cup and saucer?
Shopping at Whole Foods?
Those really thin wine glasses that go ‘ting!’ when you tap them with a knife? (AKA. those-really-thin-wine-glasses-that-shatter-when-you-touch-a-knife-to-them)
Winking when you leave a big tip?
Smoking on one of those long cigarette things from old movies?
Serving a dinner where all the plates match and nothing is chipped?

Well to me, it’s Ceiling Medallions. Yes people, if you have a ceiling medallion in your home, I’m gonna be all pinkies up! strutting around and smoking indoors in a fur coat (you’ve been warned).


I've been in love with traditional millwork for as long as I can remember and, Having a Great, and Great-Great Grandfather who helped Pioneer the Victorian Style movement during the early 1900s (much of their work still stands in San Francisco and surrounding areas), I often wonder if it’s literally in my blood.

I also wonder if perhaps I fell for it because I never had it as a kid. Growing up in a small coastal town, we had to drive to the “Big City” (“Big City” being super fancy, in and of itself) to see anything with good millwork. To me it was rare, and special, something to be admired; like a great piece of art.


Whatever it may be, I think millwork is FANCY AF, and ceiling medallions are the cherry on top.









While I generally recommend hiring out for this kind of work, it certainly isn't impossible to DIY. 
Just take yourself (and your super handy friend, unless that's you *applause*) to Home Depot and pick up one of their shockingly affordable, super fancy, medallions.

If you are local to Portland, be sure to check out the stock at McCoy Millwork. Their staff is super knowledgeable and they may just be able to give you some advice regarding installation.

If you aren't up for a DIY project *raises hand* reach out to me here and we can get this project rolling, together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment