1/24/18

White Countertops: To Love, or Not to Love?

This week I found myself  (as most designers do) wandering through a warehouse full of slabs.

There were slabs, slabs everywhere! Black, brown, GOLD, grey, silver, RED!, and every blend conceivable of the above. Yet as I walked further I found myself in exclusive groupings of white stone; white quartz, white marble, white granite.... you name the stone, they had it in white, and they had a lot of it.

As I circled around again and again I got to thinking about design trends. Because here I was, staring at some of the most beautiful stone I had ever seen and thinking "Why don't I see this anywhere else?" - At that moment, a Pinterest page flashed before my mind, and I saw it: White... White, e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e. And it's not just Pinterest, it's instagram, it's Houzz, it's "fresh" and it's "clean" and its "the look" right now.

Look familiar? 

There is of course nothing wrong with using white, and there is nothing wrong with white stones. And Honey, if you want a white house, I will give you a white house

But the issue with trends, to me, is that I often wonder if we have stopped thinking for ourselves, and started creating things simply because we've been told to like them. It's a bit, Josie and The Pussycats for me....  


Do you remember that Movie? Back when Tara Reid was still sober, or mostly sober... it's hard to say really. But essentially, The Pussycats discover that people like their music only because subliminal messages have been sent through the headphones of their fans!
(Of course in the end, because this movie is a happily ever after type, they remove the messaging and people still like their music. Tara Reid is like, really happy, The End.)

So, Question: are we obsessed with white finishes because we've been told to obsess? Or do we truly like them? 

If we take off our "headphones" what will we truly desire?

Below is what happened when I took off my headphones and, my opinion? I still love white finishes, but it's time to shake things up.

 Quartzite, Brazil

Granite, Brazil

Marble, Spain

Granite, Brazil



 

No comments:

Post a Comment