4/19/18

What Interior Designers Really Do

I wanted to do something a little different on the blog this week.... So, QUESTION:

When someone asks you what you do for a living, how many people really understand? 
 Maybe they get it because they're in the same field as you, but beyond that... Does your family understand? Your best friend? The person across from you at said networking event?

When I started working as an Interior Designer (a position which I otherwise thought was very specific) it became apparent to me just how many people DID NOT GET IT. Most know that I do stuff with homes, but like... is it hard work? Do I just color all day? Do I run around with a cup of hot starbucks, and yell at contractors??

Instead of boring you with the day-to-day-play-by-play, I've instead  re-created one of those "What people think I do" Memes (click here for an example)

Enjoy:


WHAT MY FRIENDS THINK  I DO
 
source
 They know that what I'm doing is a little out of the box, and definitely creative, but beyond that... things get a bit blurry. Dear Friends, while I love to color, I'm sorry to say that kicking my legs up on a table covered in crayons isn't my job.



WHAT MY PARENTS THINK I DO
They aren't exactly sure what it is I'm doing, but they know it's positively AMAZING and that I'm the MOST AMAZING SPECIAL LITTLE GIRL WOMAN EVER! And they love me very much.
(shucks, guys).




WHAT SOCIETY THINKS I DO
Yep, they're the cutest! Nope, that's not what I do. They do some of things that I do, but my design business is much more a-la carte and client collaborative. Oh, and I don't currently do renovations (aka. I don't knock down walls or bust up kitchens). For more on what I actually do, check out the  menu of services, here.




 WHAT MY CLIENTS THINK I DO

The look on my client's faces when I solve a design problem, is priceless and deeply rewarding. It is the heart and soul of why I do what I do. There is nothing better than a client staring at me as if I just pulled a little white rabbit out of a little black hat...



WHAT I THINK I DO
"AD TOP 100, Featuring Lauren Taylor"
*sigh*
...someday
(because I dream big, and you should too)




WHAT I ACTUALLY DO

Yes, I meet with clients and contractors. Yes, I shop for fixtures/furniture/products. But mostly my job is here, inside this laptop. I often work in my pajamas, and have spilled salsa on my keyboard more times than I can count. I'm just like you! Except you probably put on real pants to go to work..

Want to know more? Reach out!
Click Here to fill out the Contact form and 
set up a complimentary Phone Consult.

L


No comments:

Post a Comment