5/23/18

Style Note: When to give up the sweats

I did something big, People.

I gave away two of my comfiest, coziest, sweatshirts.

*pang*

Awe, it hurts a little to think about; but I want to re-live it, for you, and maybe you can do the same.

So there I was, updating my closet from winter to spring (P.S. yay! spring!) and in the back and forth of sweater, swap-for-tank, sweater, swap-for-tank; I wound up pulling a number of items that were either outdated, or simply something I did not wear this year at all (sorry dog-print-sweater, you were so cute when I got you for Christmas 2015, but your quirkiness has faded along with the material...).

The clean out felt good and stepping back, looking at my fresh rack of colorful tanks, I couldn't help noticing a couple pieces that were standing out in all the wrong ways. So I walked to the end of the rack, plucked them up and realized "oh it's just you, old friend" comfy sweater 1 and 2 were just dangling there all "hey, can you grab me a beer? and some Cheetos, if ya got em. Thanks girl."

and I was all "Oh yeah, I got you." 

and then I paused, thinking should I get rid of these?

and one part of my mind was all are you insane?! They're so comfortable. You can't. YOU JUST CANT.

and the other part of me said but... they're hideous.


We all have clothes that we don't prefer to wear in public, but I realized today (Like, TODAY) that there's a big difference between pieces that we prefer not to wear in public, and pieces that we are HELLA EMBARRASSED to wear in public.

Example: Prefer not to wear in Public

1. Old T-Shirt with small hole in it

2. Anything soaked in sweat

3. Ill fitting jeans

4. Black belt with Brown shoes

Example: Embarrassed to wear in Public

1. Anything that makes you pray you don't run into anyone you know

2. Anything that has you apologizing to the people you know when you DO run into them (which you surely will because the Universe loves it when we dress like poo. It's like "Hahah there she goes again in those saggy bottom shorts with a hole, Where's her ex boyfriend at?... ah yes... *re routing* .... Perfect. They will meet in the cheese aisle." )

 (I've legitimately tried to hide from an ex by burying my face in my hands... More on that later, maybe)

So, I thought, it may be time to give away the comfy comfies. I will note however, that I have the luxury of owning other comfies that are actually decent enough for a public setting. If I did not own decent comfies, I would not get rid of my ugly comfies. So if you only have one set, DO NOT get rid of them until you have a new set to replace them with. Because without them, how are you supposed to enjoy a Saturday night?


Finally, I very much believe that how we dress affects how we feel about ourselves. I also believe that there is no cookie cutter formula to what makes you feel good, or your neighbor, or me, or your Mom, or co-workers, and so on... so it's up to you to decide what makes you feel good about y-o-u. 

So if you own something that makes you shudder when you walk by a mirror, do yourself a favor, and donate it. (or just go big and burn it...and don't tell the mayor I said that).

L


No comments:

Post a Comment