3/7/18

Design Rule #237: Every home deserves fresh-cut flowers

Every week, I pick up fresh-cut flowers for my home:

It's a treat to me, picking out the right bouquet(s), and placing them in vases around my space. There is something so enlivening about about the marriage of a beautiful object and the nurturing of this actual, living design element - that brings a home to life. 

With clients, a project feels incomplete until we get a vase of something fresh on the table, and I encourage everyone to keep up with the flowers, long after their design is complete.


Trader Joe's is where I usually pick up flowers; they're inexpensive, convenient, and have a great selection. But you don't have to copy me, you may have a great grocer near you, or heck, maybe even a nice garden near you! And of course, there is always Saturday Market. I work most Saturdays and always seem to miss it, but if you have the time, their selection is always to-die-for. Plus you're supporting local growers (double bonus!)

Other places I like to shop for flowers in Portland: New Seasons, Zupans, and (my favorite florist in town) Sammy's.


*Once you get your flowers home, trim the stems at a 45 degree angle, and place in room temp or slightly cool water. 

*Be sure to change out the water every couple of days, in order to get the best life out of your blooms.

If flowers aren't your thing, but you'd like to add some warmth, check out this blog on scent from a few months back. Or if houseplants are more your thing, click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment