2/28/18

How To: Add Color without Commitment


This week I was helping a couple select lighting for their rental home; we had it narrowed down to an arc lamp when the husband and wife began running in circles over shade options (this line had about 50 different shade options).

When working with couples, I often take moments like this to step away and let them hash it out on their own, before stepping in with my two cents. So I did just that, and when I stepped back minutes later the wife approached me:

"We decided on this" she said, holding up a fire-engine-red lampshade.

Knowing that the only other color she had in the room was a Teal lounge chair, I asked her how they had come to this conclusion.

Newsflash: Teal and Fire-Engine Red, rarely go together

"We want more color, and we think this is pretty." she said

I totally get it. They like teal, they like red, they want color, why not!

Hmm...

Here's why not: Design is like cooking, and here is the food equivalent of what she said "I like corn, I like chocolate, I'm hungry, why not!"


Long story short, I explained that if they already have teal in the room then we need to get something related to teal, or something that at least shares the same undertones, and not start a whole new color palette. The couple agreed and, knowing they would have this lamp for a long time, ultimately selected a neutral shade so they could have more flexibility in the space.

While we all felt good about the purchase, I could tell that they were still wanting more color in the space.
So I gave them one of my favorite bits of color advise:

First:

If you aren't ready to commit to a color palette, or simply don't know what colors will look good, then it's best to bring color in through lower commitment items, like pillows and throws.

Second:

Take your sweet little bum down to TJ Maxx or Marshalls, grab cart, and LOAD UP.

If you think pillow or throw could work, grab it. Get two carts if you have to! and stuff-those-carts.

If you find yourself standing for too long on one item, wondering will it work? won't it? Just throw it in!

Because, here's the secret: you've already planned in a trip to return the things that won't work. And places like TJ Maxx and Marshalls do returns all-the-time. They know you'll be back, so just own it, there ain't no shame in this game.

When you get home, pull out your inner Joanna Gaines and start tossing things around.
How does this look? That? More texture? This color? That color? This color with that color?


HAVE FUN WITH IT

In the end, you'll know what you don't want, and you'll be smiling all the way to the returns aisle.

Bonus: You shopped a bargain, so you haven't invested heavily in your project. Should you decide next year that purple is like, totally out. You can do this shopping trip all over again.

Most importantly, have fun. After all, that's what design is for.


No comments:

Post a Comment